Sunday 14 February 2010

Potosi Mine Tour

I began to regret signing up for this tour to the mine as we descended into its bowels for more than a kilometre. Cerro Rico was described by one Spanich chronicler in the mid-16th century as "the mouth of hell" and I could understand why. The mine entrance was above 4,000m and we had to crouch most of the way in muddy water through narrow tunnels and down holes, breathing in noxious gases and seeing men work in appalling, medieval conditions. There are no engineers or geologists here and accidents happen frequently. It was so physically and emotionally draining, my throat burned and I felt dizzy for the rest of the day. Not a tour I'd recommend.

2 comments:

  1. Sooner you than me, young girl. Not my idea of a fun day out! Hope you're still having a fab time. John xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. having major claustra fit just reading it. "oh no no no not for me OH !!!! christ you'd have had your work cut out with me on this one hey???!!!!

    ReplyDelete